Hog Island Oyster Co. is looking for an experienced Director of Production/Distribution Operations (DPO) to join our team. If you’re looking for a position that will both challenge and reward while working for a Company that takes care of its people, the planet and profits, then we encourage you to apply. Hog Island Oyster Co. is proud to be a certified B Corp, using business as a force for good.
Live to shuck, shuck to live!
At Hog Island Oyster we aim to cultivate, serve and enjoy the best oyster experience possible. We take care and effort hand raising sustainable shellfish, which we proudly serve at our farm in Marshall and our restaurants in Marshall, San Francisco, and Napa. This position requires travel but would mainly work out of our office on beautiful Tomales Bay in Marshall, CA.
Organizational Scope: The DPO will be responsible for the successful operation of the Company’s seed and shellfish production units as well as the distribution and outside sales of those production units. This individual is expected to implement the Company vision, values and directives to meet the current production and distribution goals. A commitment to fostering team unity and growth, maintaining fiscal controls, as well as long term planning for development and expansion will be required. A strong cultural fit and passion for our values and principles is most important as this position will serve in a highly visible leadership role.
This position requires travel and a satisfactory background check.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Mentor, lead and teach managers in order to create a strong, motivated team that works well with all departments.
- Create and implement operating procedures in order to empower staff in providing a great customer experience.
- Ensure proper orientation and training of all staff on company rules, policies and procedures, including safety training as well as food handling and HACCP training and certification.
- Ensure that all equipment and premises are kept clean and in excellent working condition.
- Provide regular, timely performance feedback to managers including formal evaluations and weekly check-ins according to company standards. Address any less than satisfactory performance immediately with improvement plans, and written or verbal warnings as needed.
- Regularly review manager compensation/benefits and update according to performance and industry standards. Coordinate with department managers, CEO, CFO, and annual budget.
- Seek, listen and encourage input from all managers and staff members.
- Continually review, update and maintain the Company’s shellfish growing and sourcing practices.
- Help managers develop robust and flexible husbandry practices at all life cycle stages.
- Work directly with managers to ensure that all shellfish reflect the Company’s vision and values (sustainable, seasonal, and fresh) and ensure that all product is consistently delivered according to the company’s husbandry, bio security, and quality standards.
- Ensure that Standard Operating Procedures are followed and that all data is correctly recorded and accessible as needed.
- Work with production management to create planting, harvest and sales forecasts and goals on a quarterly and annual basis that facilitates success for all production units.
- Ensure that quality shellfish are consistently available at all locations.
- Work with, guide and educate production staff and management to ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements. Including but not limited to those from the Dept. of Health, California Coastal Commission and California Department of Fish and Wildlife.
- Ensure that all required paperwork, including forms, reports and schedules are prepared in accordance with Company systems, in an organized and timely manner.
- Continue to maintain and develop shellfish costing and tracking system.
- Develop, with CFO and department managers, annual operating budgets and capital expenditure budgets.
- Participate in all Company management meetings.
- Lead by example, be a servant leader. Do the little things to support our staff.
- Regularly travel to all HIOC Production locations and occasionally travel to source farm locations.
- Fill in where needed to ensure our high guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Be a great communicator by listening well, communicating effectively and respectfully to all staff, co-managers, company executives, customers, vendors, shareholders and media.
- Have fun, enjoy your work – it spreads!
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 5 years of management and leadership experience.
- Proven ability managing multiple departments with forecasting and managing inventory experience.
- In depth material handling knowledge, including development of efficient storage and delivery systems. An understanding of contemporary food trends and sustainable sourcing and operating practices are a must.
- Experience leading both production and sales management teams and staff.
- Able to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, with all staff and management.
- Able to perform physical functions normal to farming/distribution operations. We expect our managers and leaders to be hands on and to work side by side with staff as needed.
- Must be able to handle high pressure job demands while maintaining composure and exhibiting sound judgement.
We offer a generous medical and dental plan, a 401k retirement plan with employer matching, flex spending accounts, and paid vacation and sick time as well as paid time to volunteer in the community.
Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the position to: https://hogislandoysters.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=18
At Hog Island Oyster Co. we stand for oysters, diversity and equality! This means cultivating a work place free from discrimination and harassment of any kind, and providing equal employment opportunities for all. People of all backgrounds and interests are welcome in our family. Shall we set a place at the table for you?