Large Boat Skipper
O107 – Shelton, Washington
Taylor Shellfish Farms is one of the largest producers of farmed shellfish in North America. The company is quickly growing in sustainable shellfish farming with new techniques and innovative growing methods.
Oyster skippers are responsible for their oyster boat or “dredge”. This includes the general maintenance such as fluid levels, oil, and completing the daily inspection of the vessel. All skippers must have a Washington State boater’s license and complete a Taylor Shellfish boater’s safety training. Activities of a skipper are running the boat for each tide run, retrieving oyster tubs, spreading seed, but can also include a number of other tasks assigned by their manager. The skipper must feel comfortable navigating a boat in all weather conditions. The skippers need to learn the specific farms they work on and be able to communicate the harvest details during transport from beach to plant. Shipments must be properly labeled.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Must ensure that the proper paper work is in the boat at all times. Must ensure that all crew members in the boat are wearing the Personal Protective Equipment, i.e. a life jacket or hardhat. Boats must have proper registration and tags. Boats must also be kept tidy and relatively clean on a day-to-day basis. Must inform the crew of hours, times, and places. Also needs to be in coordination with the truck driver to get the oyster to the plant in a timely manner.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must complete safety orientation prior to working on the beach.
- Must be physically able to lift and handle sixty pounds.
- Must be able to speak and understand English.
- Must wear proper safety gear when necessary.
- Must work well with other crew members.
- Must be able to swim.
- Must have own supply of gloves, boots, rain gear, and head light.
- Must be capable of understanding and following instructions from the crew boss and being accountable to him/her for work.
- Must be able to work outside in all weather conditions and various times of day and night.
- Must be able to turn in his/her own time sheets with accurate numbers on them at the end of every two-week period.
- Must pick up any garbage found on the beach and never leave any of their own garbage on the beach.
- Must maintain proper employee conduct including being aware and respectful of time of day, noise level, and the homeowners that surround the beaches.
Taylor Shellfish Farms is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, material status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with federal, state and local ordinances. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Here at Taylor Shellfish we offer health insurance for the employee and their family with incredibly low premium costs and annual deductibles. We offer dental, vision, plus an excellent 401K program with 100% match up to 5% of the employee’s gross income. We also offer paid time off which starts to accrue immediately and gives you a whole week of paid time off in the first year (dependent on hours worked), plus 6 paid holidays a year, amazing company discounts, paid training through the company and a tuition reimbursement program.