Full-time position with benefits
We’re looking for a QA Manager who knows the importance of food safety, can ensure that we meet and exceed state and federal standards, and is willing to educate the rest of us on best practices. Sounds like fun? Well the best part is that all of this takes place on our oyster farm in the wilds of West Marin in and around the beauty of Tomales Bay.
Live to shuck, shuck to live!
At Hog Island Oyster we aim to cultivate, serve and enjoy the best oyster experience possible. We take care and effort hand raising sustainable shellfish, which we proudly serve at our farm on Tomales Bay and our restaurants in Marshall, San Francisco, Napa, and Larkspur. If you’re looking for a position that will both challenge and reward while working for a Company that takes care of its people, the planet and profits, then we encourage you to apply. Hog Island Oyster Co. is proud to be a certified B Corp, using business as a force for good.
The Quality Assurance Manager is responsible for ensuring all products, processing locations, storage areas and restaurants meet or exceed food safety, quality, industry best practices and regulatory standards. This includes but not limited to HACCP, sanitation, product and water quality sample collection and record keeping. The QA manager will be the primary point of contact for all regulatory agencies and other growers regarding all aspects of food safety and quality. Research and grant writing are also included. Hog Island Oyster Co. is involved in multiple research activities and will continue as we better understand the issues associated with climate change and shellfish genetics. The position is “hands on” which will require boat operation, outdoor work, navigation over rough terrain and physical sampling of water and products. The Quality Assurance Manager is also responsible for developing training standards and ensuring all staff receives training.
What the job requires:
- Degree in biology, marine biology, microbiology, or other related sciences preferred
- Seafood processing or other food processing experience preferred
- HACCP Training
- Sanitation Training
- Knowledge of the marine environment, boat operations and tide logs
- Proficient in shellfish growing techniques, sizing, and quality standards
- Basic knowledge in desktop applications such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Communication skills in Spanish preferred
- Knowledge of pertinent food safety measures. HACCP, Vibrio Control plan, rainfall closures, time temperature matrices.
What we provide:
- Competitive pay
- Generous medical and dental plans
- 401k retirement plan with Company matching funds
- Pre-tax Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Paid vacation & sick time
- Paid time to volunteer in the community
- Employee discounts, Industry-leading training and opportunities for advancement
At Hog Island Oyster Co. we stand for oysters, diversity and equality. This means cultivating a work place free from discrimination and harassment of any kind, and providing equal employment opportunities for all. People of all backgrounds and interests are welcome in our family. Shall we set a place at the table for you?
Apply for this position on Indeed: https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=831cd2631d10dfe4&from=serp&vjs=3