Taylor Shellfish Farms is one of the largest producers of farmed shellfish in North America. The company is quickly growing in sustainable shellfish farming with new techniques and innovative growing methods.
Taylor Shellfish Farms is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, material status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with federal, state, and local ordinances. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
This manager position is an on the ground manager. Specifically, this position will manage all aspects of the flip bag farm and floating bag farm throughout Samish Bay. Attendance on the tide is required, be it day or night. Organizing and coordinating all people and activities that occur on the described farm will be required in this position. This position is based out of our Samish Bay location in Bow, WA. More specific duties include the following:
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Coordinating – working with other managers to coordinate crews and equipment to maximize company efficiency. There will be a regular plan of operations meeting each tide run.
- Seeding – forecasting seed needs, preparing bags and monitoring survival of seed.
- Farming the crop – predator control or protection, transplanting, and thinning.
- Harvesting the crop – projecting the harvest, and then harvesting in a systematic manner.
- Records – keeping farm data from seeding to harvest and maintaining up to date Maintenance, HR, ECOP (environmental codes of practice) & Safety records.
- Safety, rules, and policies educate and enforce company rules, policies, and safety procedures for crew members.
- Education – participation in meetings within the company and outside of the company will be required. These range from inner company planning meetings to industry seminars and meetings.
- Budgeting – developing a farm budget and being responsible for it.
- Equipment – responsible for the maintenance and repair of assigned equipment to this farm.
- Communication –maintain strong communication with crews, management, maintenance staff, and HR/Safety departments.
- Educating crews on the company’s ECOP (environmental codes of practice).
- Manage all Human Resource paperwork and trainings for your crew members.
- Work with upper management to develop long and short-range plans for the farm.
- Maintain positive work environment and company morale.
- Participate in company events, as needed.
- May be required to work at other work sites/locations as needed
- May be required to do other tasks as needed
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- College Degree preferred
- 3+ years of aquaculture or farming experience preferred
- General knowledge of Puget Sound or Coastal aquaculture
- Team and Individual leadership skills. Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate a crew of 5-15 individuals.
- Well organized, detail oriented and strong planning skills
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Ability to work independently, at times with little direction
- Strong and sound decision-making skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Outlook
- Strong technology understanding: ability to learn and work with both mobile and computer technologies.
- Experience Driving forklift, Diving, Shellfish Farming, CDL, Boat operating, etc. preferred.
- Regular, reliable, predictable attendance
- Ability to work outdoors in ALL weather conditions
- 30 – 50 hours per work week. Time of day is variable with the tides, and often includes full or partial weekends
JOB & SAFETY REQUIREMENTS
- Safety training required
- Pass training relevant to farm operations (forklift, dive, boat operator certification, CDL, etc.)
- Must have Wash. State boaters’ card and valid driver’s license with clean driving record to qualify for company insurance policy
- 21 years or older
- Ability to sit, stand and/or walk on uneven terrain up to 8 hours per day.
- The employee may be required to stoop, bend, kneel, twist, and squat 30 percent of the time
- The employee needs to be able to lift up to 50 lbs. (Regularly required to exert up to 20lbs or force, frequently required to exert up to 50 lbs. of force, occasionally required to exert up to 125 lbs. of force).
- The vision requirements include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to speak and hear well enough to communicate with co-workers, supervisors, and managers.
- Must be able to use hands for repetitive simple grasping, pushing, pulling and fine manipulation.
- Must have agility and balance to safely climb on machines, boats, etc.
- Ability to drive approximately two hours per day to multiple locations.
Here at Taylor Shellfish we offer health insurance for the employee and their family with incredibly low premium costs and annual deductibles. We offer dental, vision, and a 401K program. We also offer paid time off which starts to accrue immediately and gives you more than a week of paid time off in the first year (dependent on hours worked), plus 6 paid holidays a year, amazing company discounts, paid training through the company, a tuition reimbursement program and options for a flex spending and dependent care account are also available.
Applications are due by Monday, January 25, 2021
Apply online here: https://taylorshellfish.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=162